Friday, November 5, 2010

Welcome to the Zumba Fitness with Renee Holiday Challenge!

Welcome everyone! 


I can't even begin to tell you just how excited I am that SO many of you were interested in this type of a program!  I will do my best to update this blog daily over the next several weeks until we all reach our goal of staying healthy this holiday season!!!  So please check back often and there just might be some sort of a prize based on your input!  The more we support each other, the more we will succeed!!!  


Let me start my giving you a little background on me and my weight gain/loss in the past.  Honestly, at this point, I have ceased to care about telling people what I weigh.  After having a child, that just doesn't seem so sensitive (to me, at least) anymore.  I hope that by using numbers, people will get a better grasp of where I am and where I've been.  Just using words like, weight loss and weight gain, are not as efficient to me.


Ok, in high school, I was a skinny mini.  5'8 and in the 120/130's.  No boobs either!  Lol, I asked my mom all the time, when can I have boobs like yours!  Now I'm wishing they'd take a hike!!! =)  Then college struck and that freshman fifteen piled right on.  Maybe it was a freshman thirty would be more like it.  I think I topped out at about 160 and I swore I'd never let myself see that number again.  My second year of college I decided to lose a bunch of weight and try out for the Buffalo Bombshells, which was a professional dance team for the AFL.  I dropped all the way down to 130 and made the team.  Don't ask me how I lost the weight either because at age 22, I think I just wiggled my nose or clicked my heels and it magically fell off.  For three years, I danced professionally and slowly I gained ten pounds, putting me at 140.   Oh, I forgot to mention that somewhere along the road, I got boobs!  =)  Also in the meantime, I started dating Erik (my wonderful husband).  Quick side note on Erik...he can eat a whole pizza and lose a pound.  I'm sure many of you can relate to that kind of a hubby! Grrrrr...  Ok, back to me! =)  I ended up gaining weight, just being comfortable in my relationship and ended up at 155.  Well the next thing I know, I ordered my wedding dress online after being fitted in a local shop and it ended up not fitting!!!  I desperately hit the gym daily until I knocked off ten pounds, getting married in 2004 and 145lbs.  Oh, this is where the struggle really began.  We moved away from Buffalo (everything I've ever known) one month after getting married, I think I was up to 165 in no time.  Then I got sick of feeling yucky about myself and bounced back down to about 155, then we moved here!  Well, when Honeywell pays for your meals as part of your relocation package for 30 days, let me tell you...you eat only the BEST!!!  I, within a month mind you, was over 170, 172 to be exact.  Then I got pregnant.  You all know where this is going!!!   Honestly, thanks to my gyn, I only gained 35lbs.  Either way, that put me at a blistering 207.  Pregnant or not, I never thought I'd see 200 or above on the scale.  Once Owen (my darling two year old...lol), I literally lost 7lbs...I mean, he was 6lb 14oz.  Was that a joke?  Wasn't there like an extra 25lbs of other stuff that was suppose to disappear immediately after he was born?  So I tried the nursing technique that so many others rave about.  I struggled through nursing for three months and didn't lose but ten pounds.  


My breaking point was a picture...which I will have to find and post for you all...and I just looked at that picture and couldn't believe that that was me.  I was stuck at 187.  So I decided to join a gym...a little side note on gyms...I have NEVER stuck with a gym EVER.  I usually sign the year + contract, go for like two months, lose three pounds, get all excited and then stop.  Can anyone relate to that?  Or is it just me?  I started going to the gym religiously...first three, then four, then five days a week.  I slowly got down into the 170's then I found Zumba!!!!!  I started taking Zumba in May of 2009.  Long story short, haha, too late...I managed to get all the way down to 160...that sneaky little number from college that I never wanted to see again...remember???  =)  This time I couldn't have been happier to see that number.  These days I fluctuate between 157 and 164...I'm being honest in saying I'm not 100% ok with those numbers.  In my dream world, I'd be 150 and never fluctuate.  =)


Well, I'm hoping my first blog didn't bore you to death and I do hope that using all those numbers helped you see what I've been through and please tell me that you all can relate somehow to this!  


Thank you to all of YOU for making this happen and for sharing my goal of getting healthy and doing something good for OURSELVES!!!!  


~Renee...the master of exercise in disguise =)

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story, and I am excited about the challenge! And the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story! That is inspiring! I'm excited about the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story and I can relate to it. At least you started when your baby was young to get back down to where you want to be. My youngest is now 24 and I'm just now starting to get back to being healthy and the weight off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story - I can TOTALLY relate to pretty much everything you said!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome Renee! That is why I always see that beautiful beaming smile on you! I think you are gonna be an awesome support for these holidays. This Christmas I will LOSE WEIGHT! How about YOU?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally can relate! I have tried dieting on to give up a few weeks in. I started curves a couple years back and did good on that but had no one to do it with so got bored and quit. Now I've found Zumba. I have some friends going and that's great, but I think I could do it even if my friends didn't go because everyone is do nice & Renee is so supportive! I hope this challenge will be the jump start to getting ne where I need to be and the motivation to keep going! Thanks for this, I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh,how I can relate. Thanks for sharing. I always feel like I'm the only one who struggles with my weight. I want to take this challenge.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate!! I used to work for frito lay and so I was constantly on the move. Next thing I know I'm down to 145 (from 160) and I stayed there for several years. Then I changed jobs in 2004 for health reasons and two years ago I really noticed that I had started to put on weight..crept up to 170, then 175 and two years later I'm up to 210!! I joined the rec center 2 years ago and started weight watchers, got down to 195 but I got bored and had no one to do it with so I quit. Then developed major sinus/allergy/asthma issues and stopped going to workout b/c I couldn't breathe...still stuck at 210. I tried zumba three weeks ago and i could totally tell that I had changed a little. I love zumba and even though I've missed the last week I will be back on Tuesday!!! Thanks for creating this challenge ad thanks for making class so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I just read your blog and it sounded so much like me..except for the sweet little baby boy part :)...I am 5'8 also and weighed in my 120's in high school...and I don't mind sharing how much I weighed at the doctors office last week...170 lbs the absolute most I have ever weighed in my life...Now, I am a far cry from high school but I do know that 170 is so not a healthy weight for me...so I am so excited about this challenge...loved reading your blog post ...I am tapping this away on a cell phone so gotta go for now...to all the ladies in the challenge..."We Rock"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're an inspiration ... thank you for sharing! I can definitely relate to parts of it... I'm sooo excited about this : )

    Trisha Parker

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited about this. I need motivation to take off those last pesky 10 pounds and tone up. Only if someone is watching me will I actually do it. I passed up pizza tonight because I knew what you all would say. It's already working!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading this... I too HATE gyms. They gross me out... I think you look great and I SO wish I could be a part of this challenge! Damn u for living all the way across the country! Good luck to you all!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really looking forward to this challenge! I need the extra motivation. I have about 120 pounds that I need to lose. My husband constantly reminds me that I am overweight. He means well and I know that his concern is health related, but he is not the greatest motivator.
    Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for being so open with us. I am excited about the challenge too! I do not want to gain any weight over the holidays and in fact I'd like to lose about 10-12 lbs. I think this will be just the motivation I need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Girl, you carry that 157-164 well! Thanks for the support; you are an AWESOME Instructor with 2 AWESOME Co's!!! I am inspired every week when I come in and see women of all types in class. It is great to not have to try to keep up with a class full of size 3's, no offense size 3's, but when your striving to be a perfect 10, 3's are depressing! Looking forward to this challenge and making sure I do not add 1 single pound to this Holiday season! ZUMBA ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing and letting us know who is behind that sweet smile. I am glad my good friend Marla told me about Zumba...I really need to exercise to add to my weight watchers regiment. It also gives me some time for myself. I spend the day with my granddaughter and as much as that sounds awesome..and it is...I need some "me" time! Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh girls, I myself will be weighing in tomorrow and I am fearing the worst. I'm thinking I'm above what I stated as my weight that I fluctuate within!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A big "THANKS" to you Renee for having this challenge. I am at the end of my weight loss journey but still have 10 lbs to go. So this challenge and Zumba classes along with my regular weight loss program will help get me there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Found this Lo-cal delicious sounding Mac and Cheese recipe on YouTube for cooking light magazine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzPBiYPsDU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    And it's quick and easy....20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Via email sent to me from Carissa Steward...

    I was always big though out high school. Weighing in at 180 lbs. I lost down to 145 my last year. Never really felt to bad about myself, then I graduated got married had my 2 girls. My ending weight was 245 lbs. I went completely CRAZY. I started starving myself and throwing up everything i ate. In 4 months I was at 150. Now I was so happy, but everyone would tell me I didn't look every good. I had A lady that I love with all my heart talk to me about what I was doing to myself. I did get the help that I needed.
    I changed jobs a couple of times and as you guessed it the weight came back. Topping out at 215 drove me CRAZY, But this time I'm doing it right. Started going to the gym and eating the best I can. Got under 200 then stopped. Now I'm thinking I need something different. I found you. I love Zumba, and in doing something that I really enjoy keeps me focused on what my true goal is.
    Weight loss and doing it in a Healty way.
    Thank you for your free spirt in class and making it so much fun.

    By the way my 20 year reuion is in 6 months and I know its going to be great because I'm going to fell great with the new improved me.

    ReplyDelete